Friday, October 5, 2018

Our last days in Marrakesh


I believe I can call myself an expert at getting around the Marrakesh Souks– markets – as I had plenty time to explore them while hubby was working through his 24 hr stomach bug – thank goodness Imoden is available everywhere!  Inexpensive here too.  We had to say goodbye to visiting many of the beautiful landmark buildings.  However I explored every nook and cranny of the markets discovering the long straight ‘Leather Alley’ with the dug up bricks all along the way, where the livestock is kept, where the locals shop, almost all the Vespa repair shops are, the Marrakech version of our café scene and upmarket accommodations. What’s this?  The Marrakech Museum?  Lovely tiled atrium, art rooms and toilets Morroccan style interesting contemporary artworks and pottery.   Having got my museum ‘fix’ I proceeded outside to find the alley I came along had disappeared so a young man said he would help me find my way back. Soon I was not so sure so said ‘thank you.’  ‘Might I have a little present?’ he asks. Having anticipated this, I had ready a small silver coin. ‘That’s only 1 cent!’ he says, horrified. So I gave him a coin with gold on it – 2 Dihrs I think. Next thing a guy interrupts – ‘you can’t do that’ or words to that effect. So I left them to it – and went off in the wrong direction – to a very busy intersection in the new part of town – then had to back track to get the correct directions.  Funny thing was, apparently I was very close to our accommodation and had walked a very roundabout way to get there!  Such are adventures. Fortunately hubby was much better and we repaired to a local and recommended restaurant for a light meal, joined by the local friendly cat and some very pleasant local live music.
Up early next morning to the Marrakech airport for our flight to Casablanca – we were told to be there at least 2 hours early for check in – only to find we now have over 2 hours to wait…….

No comments:

Post a Comment